Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Menu Plan Monday - On Tuesday May 13 :)

I completely missed Menu Plan Monday last week because I was out of town for most of the week. I'm late posting this week because yesterday was my eldest son's 20th birthday and I was busy getting back on track from being away so long and whipping up a meal of his favorites for him. Soooo...I'm a day late but I'm trying to get back on track.

First of all back to a review of the last menu I posted. The leftovers on Monday were enjoyed by all. The Honey Baked Chicken was a major big hit! I served it with Mom's Fancy Fried Rice. A yummy meal all round. Wednesday was homemade Mac and Cheese with Winning Weineers. The basic recipes are from Company's Coming Lunches cookbook, but I make some minor adjustments. I'll probably post them one of these days. Thursday was homemade spaghetti, especially for my husband, and served with Caesar salad for especially for my daughter. Some day I'll get around to posting my recipes for these. Friday we hit the road and that was the end of my cooking for a week. As you can see I didn't stick to the plan I posted but I seldom do.

As I mentioned earlier, yesterday was my eldest son's 20th birthday. A tradition at our house is that the birthday person gets to plan the meals for their birthday, or else I just plan the meals so that they get to enjoy some of their favorite foods on their birthday. DS still lives at home and I love that he does, but he's out the door before 7 in the morning and works until about 6 in the night so the only meal I had to worry about for him was supper. He is a pleasure to cook for because he loves everything but I know that ham and salads are among some of his favorites. I seldom make either so I decided to make both for him for his birthday, along with his traditional favorite birthday cake - homemade peanut butter cake with peanut butter icing. The cake and icing recipe are in Company's Coming Cakes recipe book. The ham was just a toupie that I cooked with a bit of water. I like ham with sauce but his favorite way to have it is just plain. The salads he likes are my mom's traditional potato salads - egg, beet, mustard, vegetable, and also a macaroni salad. I can't make them as good as my mom but I do the best I can. He assures me I do a good job, but we both know it's not really as good as Nan's.

Today I was searching the recipe books for recipes to use up the left over ham. I found 4 interesting recipes. I may try at least one of them some time this week. I was planning on making one of them tonight but then I realized that it would just be me and little one tonight as two are out of town for the rest of the week and two had a supper meeting tonight. I ended up cooking a couple of chicken legs using my own modifications to the Honey Mustard Grilled Chicken recipe. I didn't grill it but threw it in the oven in a casserole dish with a few additional spices. It turned out pretty good. I served it with Minute Rice.


So, here are some tentative plans for the rest of the week:

Wednesday - linguine with Saucy Ham and Peas from Company's Coming Cook For Kids Recipe book

Thursday - Cheesy Red Rice or Perogy Ham Casserole - both from Company's Coming 4 Ingredients Recipe Book.

Friday - Homemade Pizza and maybe some Ham Pinwheels from Company's Coming Cook For Kids Recipe book

Saturday - Baked Beans and rolls

Sunday - Chicken and vegetables

No comments: