Monday, April 21, 2008

Meaty Chili

1 onion
some red, green, yellow, orange and green pepper
ground beef
fresh mushrooms
a couple of envelopes of beef OXO
seasoned salt
garlic powder
pepper
soya sauce
28 oz tin of diced tomatoes
28 oz tin of kidney beans
12 oz peaches and cream corn
8 oz tin of tomato paste
1 cup ketchup
worchestershire sauce
2 tbsp chili powder

I lightly grease my frying pan and put it on to warm while I chop up the onion, mushrooms and peppers. I just use a small section of each kind of pepper, not whole peppers. I throw all this into the frying pan with the minced meat and sprinkle with oxo envelopes, seasoned salt, pepper, garlic powder, and soya sauce. I cook this until the beef is nice and brown.

Meanwhile, in a big pot I throw in the diced tomatoes and then I mash them, because we don't like big chunks of tomato in it. Once the tomatoes are mashed I throw in the kidney beans, corn, tomato paste, ketchup, chili powder and a sprinkle of worchestershire sauce. Then I stir it all together.

When the meat is well browned I drain it and then throw it into the big pot with the tomato mixture. I often then sprinkle some more garlic powder, seasoned salt and pepper and maybe even more chili powder to taste. I leave this on the stove simmering for about half an hour or so.

***This is my personal adapation of a recipe from Company's Coming Lunches, a recipe book well worth buying. There are lots of wonderful recipes in there.

No comments: